My team and I went to Whitwick to see the scene of a recent vicious knife attack.
Knife crime and other serious violence is a major factor in the fear of crime in our communities. The police must not only tackle this problem, but be seen to do so to reduce crime and the fear of crime.
If elected to be Police and Crime Commissioner for Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland I will:
- Continue with the #LivesnotKnives campaign;
- Work with criminal justice partners to ensure that violent criminals are caught, convicted and properly punished.
- Use co-operation with schools to educate youngsters out of knife crime;
- Work with partner bodies who turn youngsters away from violence and serious crime;
- Ensure that an effective Violence Prevention Strategy is in place and is regularly reviewed for effectiveness;
- Deliver responses to tackle drug and alcohol misuse, turning people away from activities that lead to violence;
- Target problem areas to disrupt the activities of those who carry knives or are responsible for violent crime.