I was in Owston for a meeting today and learned that few people had heard about the Rural Watch scheme run by Leicestershire Police. I want the police to work a lot more closely with organisations such as parish council to make Rural Watch a really proactive organisation tackling crime in rural areas, such as Owston.
The perception is that rural areas offer easy pickings to criminals due to the great distances involved, which can slow down police response times. That must end. Our local police are doing their best with limited resources, but more needs to be done. I want to see the Leicestershire Police:
- Deploy more police to rural areas.
- Ensure higher visibility policing in our rural areas.
- Establish a Rural Crime Co-Ordinator who will bring together all the agencies who can help prevent crime in rural areas, and tackle it when it does happen;
- Make Rural Crime Packs available to residents and business to help them protect themselves and ease the fear of crime;
- Build an effective Rural Crimestoppers system to provide a quick, confidential channel that people can use to pass on information about crime and criminals.
- Maintain an online Rural Crime Hub a one stop shop for farmers and other rural businesses giving advice on crime prevention, how to report crime, who to call and two-way communication with police;
- Hold regular public meetings with the Neighbourhood Policing area team present;
- Ensure effective support for Rural Neighbourhood Watch Schemes;
- Rebuild a wide-ranging and properly supported Volunteers on Horseback scheme;
- Work closely with East Midlands Special Operations Unit, National Crime Square and the Border Force to tackle the way gangs dispose of the vehicles;
- Ask Roads Policing vehicles to check farm vehicles and plant, especially movements after dark;
- Lobby for new legislation to make trespass a criminal offence;
- Work with the East Midlands Special Operations Unit to target and disrupt the networks through which stolen farm machinery, farm vehicles and livestock are sold.
The MP for this village is Alicia Kearns MP. You can learn more about her work for this area on her WEBSITE.
You can find the Parish Council on line HERE.
Don’t forget you can take my Crime and Policing Survey HERE.