Representatives from Parish Councils across Leicestershire and Rutland have jumped at the chance to discuss local community safety issues in a one-to-one meeting with the Deputy Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) Rani Mahal.
Improving communication with local residents features strongly in the Police and Crime Commissioner Rupert Matthews' Police and Crime Plan. Recognising that Parish Councils represent a large proportion of the population across the two counties, the PCC has introduced a platform for constructive communication with Parish Councils.
Following a well-attended launch at Police Headquarters, to which representatives from each Parish Council were invited, a series of ‘Surgery style' meetings have been organised in each local authority district.
The first surgery, in Hinckley and Bosworth, was a huge success, with a full schedule of meetings and excellent feedback.
Rani Mahal said afterwards: "These surgeries give me the opportunity to hear first-hand about the community safety issues that affect local communities. We totally understand that while some problems are universal, every area has different, and sometimes unique, issues.
"I met several Parish Councillors and their representatives this week, and we are now busy feeding back what we have learned to the relevant people, some of which are police officers and some of which are from our partners in local authorities.
"I was pleased to hear that the people attending this first surgery were pleased with how it went and grateful for the opportunity, which makes it very worthwhile. The questions raised covered issues such as road safety and anti-social behaviour, but we also had concerns that were specific to individual parishes.
"I understand that the other surgeries are filling up quickly, which highlights that there is a need for this type of communication."
See below for a full list of surgeries:
- 29th January 2024 - Hinckley and Bosworth
- 1st February 2024 - Blaby District 6th February 2024 - Northwest Leicestershire
- 12th February 2024 - Charnwood Borough
- 13th February 2024 - Rutland
- 20th February 2024 - Melton Borough
- 22nd February 2024 - Charnwood
- 26th February 2024 - Melton Borough
- 27th February 2024 - Harborough District
- 4th March 2024 - Northwest Leicestershire
- 5th March 2024 - Harborough District
- 14th March 2024 - Harborough District
- 15th March 2024 - Rutland
- 18th March 2024 - Hinckley and Bosworth
- 19th March 2024 - Blaby District